Saturday, April 5, 2014

Hippy no more?

So I thought last week was nuts. Well this week definitely trumped that. Let me start with this picture:

Yes. I chopped off my hair. Well not exactly me. You know that saying: it takes a village to raise a child… well it took a village to cut my hair. So now that the shock has hit you (as it sure has hit me a million times this week), let me rewind a little bit.

I always knew that jobs could be more challenging to receive with dreads. I always knew it was not the norm. And I always said if it came down to having a job and having dreads, I would need to be responsible and choose to have a job. BUT I didn’t think that moment would come this week. Basically since my second week after leaving home I’ve had conversations with my superior about how I could be more presentable in the professional realm, as in the Nica culture dreads may close some opportunities before I would even have a chance. This is something that I’ve been open to, and started wearing it back with a headband when I would be in work setting. It seemed like this would work. I had started working in a school co teaching. I felt like the students and teachers were all responsive and that we worked cohesively.

Well Tuesday I was told that I would need to cut my hair. That preparing it in a more controlled matter simply wasn’t enough. I know that my “look” wasn’t ideal, but I always have used my personality and work ethic to show who I am as a person. I no longer had the opportunity to do that and still have my beautiful locks. I spent about a day and a half being heart broken, and definitely a crybaby. Then I went to my newest hairstylist, tia Delma. She and about 4-5 assistants began the long EXCRUTIATINGLY painful process of trying to salvage some of hair. 2 days of 3 hours sessions later I was shocked. First off that I survived the yanking and pulling, and my scalp feeling like it was on fire. (Yes its still sensitive 2 days later). But mostly I was shocked that I didn’t look like Brittney spears after her mental breakdown. I couldn't stop smiling and stop touching my hair. It was soft and actually looked like a normal short cut.

No I was not happy to do it. No I do not think it was necessary. But I am incredibly grateful, that when I was caught between a rock and a hard place, that I had supportive family and friends here in Nica. It definitely was a group effort, and they worked miracles. Now I can continue doing my job, with out having to worry about “what if”.

I’ve learned a ton from having dreads. There are some who love them, some that hate them, and some that are just curious about them. I have loved opening peoples eyes and surprising them when I break stereotypes of being just some dreaded hippy. I was successful with them, and I will continue progressing with out them. Same Hannah, just minus about 10 pounds of hair. 

RIP my baby dreads <3

No comments:

Post a Comment